[cl-debian] [StumpWM] About solving bug #356948

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Sun Jul 15 22:20:14 UTC 2007

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Hello,

I finally decided to provide a shell script to launch StumpWM and thus
solving bug #356948 [1] and I'm still "fighting" with the resolution
of bug #384697 [2].

Either using CL-Launch or not for the creation of /usr/bin/stumpwm
[3], I for sure won't provide a script that requires a parameter to be
passed to be functional.  This also because /usr/bin/stumpwm will be
called via the menu [4].

Thus in /usr/bin/stumpwm I implemented a patch similar to that at [5].

1) the end-user can add a line in his ~/.stumpwmrc to specify the
   preferred Common Lisp implementation

     ;; debian=$LISP

2) /usr/bin/stumpwm grep for "debian=" and uses its value instead of
   the default one

3) the default value is SBCL, because this is the one I use, mainly
   because CLisp has a specific bug in the NEW-CLX module, already
   solved in CVS [6] [7]

I haven't found any problem with this solution yet, so I'm asking for
comments.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[3] cl-launch --output ./stumpwm \
              --lisp "sbcl clisp cmucl" \
              --system stumpwm \
              --init '(stumpwm:stumpwm (cl-launch:getenv "DISPLAY"))'
[4] this even if StumpWM doesn't support a --replace command option
    like Metacity, for example
[5] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=20;bug=384697
[6] http://clisp.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/clisp/clisp/src/NEWS
[7] this bug is present only in recent StumpWM CVS checkouts and not
    on all architecture, because CLisp is compiled with NEW-CLX only
    on i386, powerpc and amd64.  With the old MIT-CLX, CLisp-2.41 and
    StumpWM CVS work normally on my amd64 box