[cl-debian] Fwd: Use of backports.org

Peter Van Eynde cl-debian at pvaneynd.mailworks.org
Thu May 4 12:10:47 UTC 2006

Subject: Use of backports.org
Date: Monday 01 May 2006 12:14
From: René van Bevern <rvb at debian.org>
To: pvaneynd at debian.org

Hi Peter,

I just sent below message to cl-debian at common-lisp.net to find out
that my mailserver is blocked by the SORBS blacklist (for whatever
reason) and common-lisp.net does not take it for that reason. The
admin seems to think that an SORBS is the one and only truth, but they
even want money to get one delisted and they even blacklist major
German ISPs... %-)

So I have to address you privately. Maybe you can forward this message
to the list. ;-)

   René
---------

Hi,

currently we use the people.debian.org repository of Peter for
backported packages for Common Lisp. There is a more central place for
Debian backports available: http://backports.org and I think we should
be using this one.

So, what benefits am I seeing from this? The major argument for me
is that backports.org is autobuilt. The backports of SBCL and other
implementations in Peter's repository are only for i386, but users of
other architectures might as well be interested in a SBCL
backport. (in particular: myself ;-) )

Fortunately, most of the CL libraries are architecture
independent, but some are not. Additionally: backports.org is mirrored
across multiple places and users that want to use backports of
different packages only need to use one repository in their
sources.list.

So, this is not meant to sound demanding, I am only asking for
opinions on this. I started preparing packages of dh-lisp,
common-lisp-controller and sbcl for Backports.org and I'd upload them,
so that the basic layer to build the CL-Debian suite is available. [1]

I am going continue backporting more packages and possibly reducing
some load from Peter, who otherwise backports all the packages for his
backport in the URLs below:repository.

         René

[1] In about a week, after my return from LinuxTag. So, if anybody on
    this list is attending the event and wants to talk about Lisp,
    come to the Debian booth: http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxTag2006
--
René van Bevern	<rvb at debian.org>
http://progn.org  http://www.debian.org  http://www.pro-linux.de