[cl-debian] UCW status, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:25:11 UTC 2006

On 29/03/06, Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd at debian.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 19:21, Faré wrote:
>> I don't know at this point what is needed for cl-launch to be accepted
>> as an official debian package. I guess the main thing lacking is an
>> official debian package maintainer.
>
> Hello Faré,
Hi Peter,

> Actually there is no need for an official maintainer. I had a quick look and
> despite some fundamental disagreements (like the cache beneath ~/) the
> package does look good.
Well, you must understand that at least the default, portable,
non-debian version of cl-launch CANNOT assume anything like the
common-lisp-controller cache hierarchy. However, if you patch
cl-launch to have it share the c-l-c cache when appropriate (which
supposes we properly detect the lisp version, too, because I for one
use both the debian sbcl and my own compiled sbcl's on the same
machine -- but I suppose that if c-l-c is in the current image then it
can be assumed to be the only c-l-c image for given implementation),
then I'll be glad to include it upstream.

> The only comment I can make is that it uses a dash
> (1.79-1) which for a native package is not good, in any case I would advice
> you to make it a non-native package so other people can upload fixes without
> increasing 'your' version needlessly.
Will be done shortly.

> If you intend to support the package I
> would be happy to upload it for you.
I certainly intend to support the package.

Actually, I'm eager to have opinions on how cl-launch should work with
respect to saving and restoring images for faster startup. What is the
right way to handle lisp invocation arguments, etc.?

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is
prepared to die at any time. -- Mark Twain