[cl-debian] Re: stumpwm: Clarify README.Debian - can't understand a thing how to start this wm

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Fri Jun 2 17:05:01 UTC 2006

| > This is too technical. What is "boot up lisp"? How it's being done?
| > What command to run, packages to install. Etc.
|
| I would say that it's not too technical at all.  If you know what
| Common Lisp is, you should be able to understand the upstream README.
| Moreover, this package is not intended for common end-user, but for
| users that have a specific background.
|
| > Please provide step by stem intruction how to start this window
| > system, otherwise README.Debian doe snot reflect the needs of
| > regular Debian user.
|
| As I said, it wasn't README.Debian, but the upstream README.  In the
| package version 1:20060513-1, I added a README.Debian to explain how
| to use the SLIME swank together with StumpWM

The debian/control::Description reads:

     StumpWM is a window manager written entirely in Common Lisp. It
     attempts to be highly customizable while relying entirely on the
     keyboard for input. You will not find buttons, icons, title bars,
     tool bars, or any of the other conventional GUI widgets.

>From "StumpWM is a window manager written entirely in Common Lisp" it
suggests, that is is just another window manager only that the host
language is common lisp.

Something is not connecting here.

- Aa per you explanation, the the sescription string should
  differentiate stumpwm from the other regular "window managers"
  by saing that this one is for only people that understand
  how to use it with common lisp.

Without this, the "joe", like me, expects after download to
read /ysr/share/doc/<package>/README.* files in order to
see what steps are needed to make the <program> work unless
it's setting itself up initially at install.

| I'm not inclined to add specific information about how to start
| StumpWM to the README.Debian, as the upstream README is quite
| self-explanatory.  I cc:ed this mail to the Common Lisp in Debian
| mailing list [1], in order to have other comments/suggestions about
| this bug.  In case of no activity for 7 days, I'll tag this bug as
| wont-fix.

Currently

- Description does not suggest anything to be different from
  standard WM
- README* lacks information for anyone else but CL-knowledgeable.

Please don't go away, before we can improve this :-)

Jari