[cl-debian] Re: cl-launch in debian

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:17:16 UTC 2006

I'm glad to announce cl-launch 1.86, which I'm sad to say fixes brown
bag bugs (most importantly including command-line arguments not being
recomputed anymore when using dumped images), and revises its claim of
complete support for image-dumping with ECL (see discussion on the ECL
mailing-list). An important new feature is a more complete automated
test coverage, that now includes image-dumping in the tested
combinations -- this allowed me to catch all the above bugs and more.
In other news, I revived the limited support for gcl 2.6 (no asdf, no
image dumping). The gcl 2.7 in debian is hosed on too many levels for
me to try do anything more about it.

As usual, the relevant files are available on
    http://fare.tunes.org/files/cl-launch/

Peter Van Eynde wrote:
> The package looks good, I had 5 minutes so I rebuild and uploaded it.
It was actually quite buggy. 1.86 shall improve on the quality with
its more complete integrated regression test suite. And so I feel
entitled to stealing 5 more of your minutes.

> I thought it was using ECL's asdf. Could you open wishlist bugs against ECL so
> I don't forget to fix this?
I did, and offered several solutions to this problem. However, I
realized that ECL's c::builder also had problems with pathnames and
with libraries, making it unsuitable as is for use by cl-launch. The
ECL guys don't seem to care enough to fix it, and frankly neither do
I. Sigh.

>> I assumed Rene and Peter were my Uploaders. If not, the control file
>> should be changed appropriately by my mysterious mentor to reveal
>> himself.
>
> Boe! :-)

Whoa, what a surprise. You scared me!

Thanks a lot for all your hard work,

The American businessmen, as a class, have demonstrated the greatest
productive genius and the most spectacular achievements ever recorded in the
economic history of mankind. What reward did they receive from our culture and
its intellectuals? The position of a hated, persecuted minority. The position
of a scapegoat for the evils of the bureaucrats. -- Ayn Rand