[cl-debian] Re: Anyone willing to package Cedilla?

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Sep 19 14:28:42 UTC 2005

>> Oh, by the way, I'm not a great fan of dumped images; they use up
>> loads of space, and prevent the Lisp runtime from being shared between
>> Lisp processes.

> Genera could dump incremental images. We could do the same.

Hmm... that shouldn't be too hard to implement in cmucl.

> And/or fasls could be made into mixins of incremental image dumps.
> stuff to be mmap'ed properly.

Not really, if you want to preserve the compile/load/run-time
semantics of Common Lisp.  (Code might need to be executed at load
time.)

> Except that mmap()ing probably won't do much good unless it's at
> a fixed address.

That's okay.  Cmucl already maps images at fixed addresses.

> Was it HP-UX that had a mechanism like that for its shared libraries,
> ensuring that none of the system libraries clashed, so it could just
> mmap() them with no memory- and time- hungry runtime linkage?

All modern unices (at least Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X) can do that.
It's called ``prelinking'' under Linux, I don't reacall the Solaris
name.

> BTW, Juliusz is the one who first told me about Common Lisp;

I plead guilty.

                                        Julek