[cl-debian] cl-launch in debian?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 02:18:51 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I'm using cl-launch to turn many lisp programs into shell-controllable
commands, including stumpwm (in debian, though it depends on
sb-clx-sbcl, that is outdated), and several of my own personal
scripts. I think cl-launch would be a great thing to add to debian,
especially as a tool to build lisp applications for debian.

cl-launch does the right thing, dynamically: it detects the best
available implementation in a given lisp, with a lot of runtime or
compile-time configurability. It supports all the free lisp
implementations in debian (I think): sbcl, cmucl, clisp, gcl, openmcl.
It exports trivial interfaces for accessing the invocation parameters:
command-line arguments and environment variables. Adding new
implementations should be fairly easy considering the discrepancy
already covered.

I've focused on making cl-launch an independent piece of software that
doesn't require any special software installed at runtime, except the
source being made to be launchable. cl-launch is 38KiB big, and it
produces self-contained scripts that are 15KiB big (including license
and lots of comments and dynamic configurability). I also added a
"light weight" mode, that produces scripts smaller than 1KiB, but that
depend on loading lisp and shell code from files at hardwired
locations. This might be a better compromised for system-managed code,
as opposed to user code: use -I
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/cl-launch for all debian binaries.

There are many nice lisp apps being developed, I hope cl-launch will
make it easier to deploy them.

http://www.cliki.net/cl-launch

... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.  The
question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them
is left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the existence of
the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.  (A
discussion of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope
of this article.)