[cl-debian] Re: clc, asdf-install, slime, fasl paths, etc.

Peter Van Eynde pvaneynd at mailworks.org
Thu Sep 1 09:18:46 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 10:50, Faré wrote:
> cl-launch has evolved quite a bit, worked around a few implementation
> bugs, and is now rather stable. Can you have a peek at cl-launch and
> tell me if you could (a) integrate its fasl cacheing mechanism to
> c-l-c? (b) include cl-launch in debian?
>    http://www.cliki.net/cl-launch

I will take a look at this, but I'm rather busy  at the moment...

> BTW, (1) c-l-c should really use $LOGNAME instead of $HOME, for its

Well if you have a server with several thousant users you might have a more
complex scheme then /home/$LOGNAME and we should copy this. For example:

$ ssh  pvaneynd at shell.sourceforge.net 'pwd'
/home/users/p/pv/pvaneynd
$

Having /var/cache/pvaneynd on that machine would be an unpopular move.

> per-user cache hierarchy, and per-user directories should be created
> by root with restricted permissions, otherwise, there's a security
> hole with a malicious user pre-loading another user's fasl cache with
> nasty things.

Hmm. You're right. We should check if we are the owner of the cache directory.
The actual protection of the data is up to the user with the umask.

> (2) since we need root permissions to do things, why not just have
> root compile the fasl in a controller environment? (--no-user-init and
> such) IIRC c-l-c used to do that -- why did it stop?

Because sometimes the compile would blow up, or plainly take to long, it was a
bad idea from a security point of view to have root compile stuff and it made
debugging problems a nightmare.

See all the bugs I closed with the new simpler v4:

 * This version should fix almost all problems.
    Closes: #197649, #261757, #231031
    By removing complexity
    Closes: #260069
    By not having a cronjob anymore
    Closes: #128761
    Because the user can set options for his lisp that
    then get used for the compilation.

> [ François-René ÐVB Rideau | Reflection&Cybernethics |
> http://fare.tunes.org ] Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with
> your Microsoft product. -- Ferenc Mantfeld
Groetjes, Peter

--
signature -at- pvaneynd.mailworks.org
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pvaneynd/