[cl-debian] Re: [Bese-devel] YACLML: debianization

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Fri Oct 28 11:45:00 UTC 2005

Hello!

I'm sorry for the cross-posting, but the CL-Debian mailing-list is the
best place about packaging CL software for Debian.

Moreover, I'd like an advice from the Debian people involved in CL
before finishing to package Marco's software.

And I'm sorry for the long post O:-)

On Thu 27 Oct 2005 10:39 +0200, Marco Baringer wrote:
> Luca Capello <luca at pca.it> writes:
>
>> 1) Referring to [1], YACLML *depends* on FiveAM if you want to use
>>    the test suite. So, if we want a single Debian package from
>>    YACLML, we need to depend on FiveAM. And AFAIK the same happens
>>    for the documentation, which needs qbook.
>>
>>    The other possibility is to have multiple Debian packages, if
>>    it's possible (I propend for this one):
>>
>>    cl-yaclml      = all the strictly necessary files
>>                     (depends on ASDF, arnesi and iterate,
>>                      suggests cl-yaclml-test and cl-yaclml-doc)
>>    cl-yaclml-test = test suite
>>                     (depends on cl-yaclml and FiveAM,
>>                      suggests cl-yaclml-doc)
>>    cl-yaclml-doc  = documentation
>>                     (depends on cl-yaclml and qbook,
>>                      suggests cl-yaclml-test)
>
> is this a normal way of doing things? if so this is what i'd do.

While it's an usual thing to split a -doc package, I think that for
the test suite there isn't a strict policy. Searching in the package
archive gives the following. I sorted out the relevant packages ;-)
=====
luca at gismo:~$ apt-cache search test
atlas-test - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,test programs
blacs-pvm-test - Basic Linear Algebra Comm. Subprograms - Test files
                 for PVM
blas-test - Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines, testing programs
lapack-test - a library of linear algebra routines - testing programs
lapack3-test - library of linear algebra routines 3 - testing programs
refblas3-test - Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines 3, testing programs
ultrapossum-test - UltraPossum SI Testing Framework
xmldiff-test - xmldiff's test files
blacs-lam-test - Basic Linear Algebra Comm. Subprograms - Test files
                 for LAM
blacs-mpich-test - Basic Linear Algebra Comm. Subprograms - Test files
                   for MPICH
blacs-test-common - Test data for BLACS testers
cl-ansi-tests - Conformance tests for ANSI Common Lisp
cl-uffi-tests - Regression tests for UFFI Common Lisp Library
clamav-testfiles - use these files to test that your Antivirus program
                   works
ltp-commands-test - Command tests for the Linux Test Project
ltp-disc-test - Disk I/O tests for the Linux Test Project
ltp-kernel-test - kernel tests for the Linux Test Project
ltp-misc-test - Misc. tests for the Linux Test Project
ltp-network-test - Network tests for the Linux Test Project
pylint-test - pylint's test files
scalapack-lam-test - Scalable Linear Algebra Package - Test files
                     for LAM
scalapack-mpich-test - Scalable Linear Algebra Package - Test files
                       for MPICH
scalapack-pvm-test - Scalable Linear Algebra Package - Test files
                     for PVM
scalapack-test-common - Test data for ScaLAPACK testers
typo3-testsite - A site package to show the abilities of TYPO3
zope-testcase - unit testing framework and test case for Zope
parmetis-test - Parallel Graph Partitioning and Sparse Matrix Ordering
                Tests
atlas3-test - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,test programs
axiom-test - A general purpose computer algebra system: regression
             test inputs
cl-sql-tests - Testing suite for CLSQL
maxima-test - A fairly complete computer algebra system-- test suite
php-simpletest - Unit testing and web testing framework for PHP
sqlrelay-test - SQL Relay tests
webauth-tests - Tests for the WebAuth authentication modules
luca at gismo:~$
=====

Basically and AFAIK, we can decide whatever we want.

Considering the space occupied by each package, we have (I just
removed _darcs/ folder in each package):
=====
luca at gismo:~/Hacking/cl-debian/repository$ du -h arnesi-test/
16K     arnesi-test/docs
68K     arnesi-test/src/call-cc
312K    arnesi-test/src
48K     arnesi-test/t
396K    arnesi-test/
luca at gismo:~/Hacking/cl-debian/repository$ du -h fiveam-test/
68K     fiveam-test/src
16K     fiveam-test/t
104K    fiveam-test/
luca at gismo:~/Hacking/cl-debian/repository$ du -h qbook-test/
44K     qbook-test/src
60K     qbook-test/
luca at gismo:~/Hacking/cl-debian/repository$ du -h yaclml-test/
24K     yaclml-test/src/tags
64K     yaclml-test/src/tal
128K    yaclml-test/src
8.0K    yaclml-test/t/root-a
12K     yaclml-test/t/root-b
52K     yaclml-test/t
196K    yaclml-test/
luca at gismo:~/Hacking/cl-debian/repository$
=====

The simple solution will be to strictly depend on every software
needed to *completely* use the package we're installing. So, YACLML
should depends on ASDF/Common-Lisp-Controller, arnesi and iterate (to
compile), plus FiveAM (for the test suite) and qbook (for the
docs). This will lead to about 170K more space on disk (FiveAM and
qbook), which is quite nothing :-)

Obviously, if the dependencies for the /extra/ packages will grow in
size (the test suite and the docs are not *strictly* necessary), we
can split the package in the future.

Now, reconsidering what I just wrote, I think that the simple solution
is the best ATM.

Suggestions? Peter, your opinion?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca