[cl-debian] common-lisp-controller problems (of understanding)

Christian Lynbech christian at defun.dk
Tue Nov 8 20:07:24 UTC 2005

I am wondering how c-l-c is supposed to work, after the latest changes
wrt permissions and ownerships.

The problem I am having is that I had problems to get this to work:

        (clc:clc-require :clsql-mysql)

The error message is not particularly helpful, but digging around, I
finally notice that the problem is that my uid directory in
/var/cache/common-lisp did not exist, and since the directory is owned
by root, creating it (as part of the asdf ops) failed.

So I was about to gear for bug reporting c-l-c, but further
experiments revealed that

        (clc:clc-require :aserve)

did in fact work. My uid subdir was created and files compiled, and
then I could also get clsql to compile and load, since I own the uid
subdir and can create further subdirs there without further issues.

Looking over the control scripts in /var/lib/dpkg for the two packages
did not reveal any obvious differences, so I am left wondering how
c-l-c works its magic to allow the creating of user subdirs in /var/cache
and why it works for cl-aserve but not for cl-sql-mysql, when the user
subdir is missing?