[cl-debian] Re: [Bese-devel] YACLML: debianization

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Thu Nov 3 13:25:12 UTC 2005

Hello!

We're finally arrived to an end :-D

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 13:23 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> Analyzing Marco's code and checking back the discussion Marco and I
> had when I first packaged YACLML, I now remember the problem
> (because there's a problem, sorry)...
<cut>
> And my idea for the debianization:
>
> 1) arnesi      depends on clc (in Debian this implies cl-asdf)
>                recommends FiveAM, cl-ppcre and qbook
>
> 2) FiveAM      depends on clc and arnesi
>                recommends qbook
>
> 3) qbook       depends on clc, arnesi, iterate, cl-ppcre and yaclml
>
> 4) YACLML      depends on clc, arnesi and iterate
>                recommends FiveAM and qbook
>
> Moreover, I can add on the package description (or in the
> README.Debian) why the recommendations, to advice the user of the
> other functionalities.

I found another package (not a CL package, sorry) that shares the same
problem (inkscape) [1] [2] and I asked for advice on the Debian-devel
mailing-list [3]. As I suspected, the Recommends field is the way to
go. And there's no README.Debian explaining why :-D

Here the cl-arnesi package description:
=====
Package: cl-arnesi
Architecture: all
Depends: ${misc:Depends}
Recommends: cl-ppcre, cl-fiveam, cl-qbook
 arnesi is a Common Lisp utility suite. It contains various "bits 'n
 pieces" of code which were useful while developing other code.
 .
 Features:
  * Flow control macros - while, whichever, if-bind, etc.
  * A simple logging facility - kind-of/sort-of/maybe like log4j.
  * HTTP/HTML utilities - URL and HTML escaping
  * Pattern matching - fare-matcher style pattern matcher and "regular"
    list matcher
  * Accumulation - collecting and reducing macros
  * Cps transformer - an ad-hoc, bug ridden implementation of half of
    call/cc.
  * Decimal arithmetic - convert floats to exact rationals and vice
    versa with a given precision; standard rounding functions.
  * MOP compatibility package - The MOPP package provides the MOP's
    symbols on various implementations. Currently OpenMCL, CMUCL, SBCL,
    Lispworks and CLISP are supported.
 .
 The recommended packages add extra features: documentation via
 cl-qbook, test suite with cl-fiveam and add-ons for cl-ppcre.
 .
 This is the development version.
=====

If I'm not getting any negative feedback for tomorrow (Friday 3th)
00:00 UTC, I'll start submitting ITP for arnesi, FiveAM, qbook and
YACLML using that backbones.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/11/msg00066.html