[cl-debian] Welcome to cl-debian

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun Mar 6 21:30:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:15:28PM +0100, Peter Van Eynde wrote:
> Hello subscribers of cl-debian and friends,
>
> Let me start by saying that I never expected to have so many people on
> this list. This is a pleasant surprise.

Well, what do you expect? We lurk arround until someone anounces a Lisp
meeting or a Deb-CL mailing list ... ;-)
Thank's for setting things up.

> I'm willing to sponsor anybody wrt. uploads and to help in packaging and
> general maintainer stuff.
>
> So what needs to be done for Common Lisp on Debian?
>
> First of all some packages from Kevin are still open (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
> bin/pkgreport.cgi?submitter=kmr%40debian.org):
>

> 9  #297473: O: openmcl - Native code ANSI Common Lisp compiler and
>    runtime environment
> 10 #297475: O: openmcl-build-tools - OpenMCL Common Lisp tools for
> building
>    system
> -> you better have a Mac to adopt these

I have one :-)  And i did bug Kevin about recent build-from-source
problems. I currently have both the latest official version as well
as a CVS checkout which i debianize - so i could come up with a .deb
of a brand new OpenMCL. So if you need help with OpenMCL (or a maintainer,
but i'm not currently an official maintainer) i could jump in. I _have_
done a lot of .deb building.

> [...]
>
> I'm also working on splitting sbcl into a indep and a arch part, but
> this is rather complex and will require a bit more time to get it to
> work. I also closed a cl-postoffice bug and I need to fix the hyperspec
> package (bug #298026).
>
> Looking at my bug page (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
> bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=maint&data=pvaneynd at debian.org&archive=no) the
> situation is rather good, most bugs are upstream or features ;-). There
> is one mystery bug #297801 that I cannot reproduce, has anyone an idea
> to fix this?
>
> Following my blogentry many people showed interest in the following
> new packages:
>
> - cl-s-xml (Luca was working on this): packaged but should become a
>   'native' package
> - slime: a long time coming but no progress?
> - elephant: an object database for Common Lisp
> - CL-PREVALENCE is an implementation of Object Prevalence for
>   Common Lisp
> - UnCommon Web is a Common Lisp web application development framework.

Iff you/we do this: may i propose that UCW is split up into several
sub-packages. A lot of the components (which already have seperate ASDF-
files) can be used on their own.

> - cl-snmp: A System Management Substrate for Common Lisp
> - Common Lisp GNU Scientific Library: we could already start in
>   packaging it knowing it is not ready for primetime yet
> - AspectL is a library that provides aspect-oriented extensions for
>   Common Lisp / CLOS
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Normal asdf based libraries should be _very_ simple to package up. The
> main work in checking the copyright; seeing if we can have a native
> package; if the version number should reflect a 'released' package (aka
> 2.1) or a cvs-date (cvs-20050304) package; and general integration with
>      the rest of debian.

Anyone want's to hack on a ASDF-Debianize component?

> For a simple example see the cl-cil package.
>
> Groetjes, Peter

Ah, does that5 ean you'll be in Amsterdam?

 cheers Ralf Mattes