[chi-lisp] [chicago-lisp] Lisp Workshop planning

Peter Christensen peter at pchristensen.com
Thu May 1 20:24:57 UTC 2008

Announcing Workshop:
http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/announcing-intro-to-lisp-workshop/

*INTRO TO LISP WORKSHOP* **

*WHO: *Programmers interested in learning more about Lisp.

*HOW MUCH*: The low, low price of 3ish hours of attention span.

*WHEN*: Saturday, May 31st from 3pm-6pm.

*WHERE*: Institute of Design, 350 N. LaSalle St, 4th floor, Chicago.
Map<http://tinyurl.com/4rbmd3>
.

*WHAT*: A hands-on introduction the the Common Lisp programming language.

*Tentative Schedule *(presentations will be 30-60 min)* *

   - Setting up a Lisp Environment (John Quigley): A hands-on walkthrough
   of how to setup a Lisp environment, Emacs, and SLIME. There will be
   documentation beforehand about steps to take and which packages to get.
   - Lisp Basics and Idioms (Peter Christensen): Lisp syntax, contructs,
   basic code, idioms and practices.
   - Common Lisp condition system (need a volunteer)
   - Macros (Craig Luddington): How Lisp lets you write code that writes
   code that writes code … and why you'd want to do that.
   - Demos of cool things in Lisp (need volunteers): showing off both
   neat and practical things that Lisp can do.

We're looking for volunteers to do the following:

   - Present on the CL condition system
   - Suggest and present on other aspects of CL not listed here that
   would be suitable for an introductory session
   - Walk around and help troubleshoot during the first session about
   setting up your environment.

If you're interested in attending or helping, please email
me<http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/contact-me>and include "Intro to
Lisp Workshop" at the start of the message.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Peter Christensen <peter at pchristensen.com>
wrote:

> Fine with me too.  I'll have the recaps up this weekend - they're mostly
> written but I was waiting on the date for the workshop before I posted them.
>
> -Peter
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Craig Ludington <cl at craig.upholsters.us>
> wrote:
>
> > John Quigley writes:
> >  > I've tentatively scheduled the first Lisp Workshop for Saturday, May
> > 31, 2008 at 3:00pm at the Institute of Design[1] in downtown Chicago (right
> > by the Clark/Lake El stop).  More details to come, but I want to first
> > confirm that this date works with the various volunteers who will be
> > teaching.
> >
> > That date is fine with me.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> --