[chicago-lisp] Something I've noticed....

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Dec 11 22:57:22 UTC 2006

I've noticed in recent years that my favorite (three) languages share
some things in common:

* None of them are "mainstream" or "standard" (which, for those who
know history, basically means: not *Algol* based)

* All of them work within their own "image" or environment.

* The idea of a "stand-alone executable" is a anethema and an alien
concept.

* All of them encourage "rapid prototyping"

* All of them encourage programming "from the bottom up"

* All of them strongly encourage "small" programming units.

* And: all three of them incorporate totally different programming
models :-)

What three are they?  LISP (of course)..... and FORTH, and Smalltalk.
  I didn't put all these factors together until about a year ago.

So: what are *your* favorite concepts in LISP (and other languages)?

I might add I'm a real fan of OOP, so I'm bound to learn CLOS sooner
or later....

--
David Douthitt
HP-UX, Solaris, Unixware, Linux, FreeBSD