[chicago-lisp] Project 1: Website

Damien Kick dkixk at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 9 21:13:58 UTC 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 11:04, Damien Grassart wrote:

> John Quigley wrote:
>> I think we're all on the same page that our first project should
>> be setting up a collaboration server where we can develop a group
>> website with Lisp on the back-end.
>
> If the plan is to create a web site that encourages collaboration,
> why not set up something like CLiki? CLiki (http://www.cliki.net/
> CLiki) runs on the Araneida web server (http://www.cliki.net/
> araneida) so it fulfills the Lisp back-end requirement and I it
> would probably much quicker to get something up and running then
> custom solutions. Sorry if this has already been suggested, I'm new
> around here, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

Of course, the biggest problem I see with any of this is getting our
hands on a host for the web server.  IIRC, the person at the *default-
chicago-lisp-name* meeting who volunteered to host the web server
hasn't been active in this thread.  This is probably all a moot point
until we have some place to stick anything.

I definitely agree with you that CLiki would be a good idea.  We
could start with something very simple.  John Quigley's presentation
material could be the first entry.  I would also vote for either
Araneida or AllegroServe.  I personally haven't used much of either,
so I don't have a lot of first-hand experience.  I did play with
AllegroServe enough to fire an MMS <http://tinyurl.com/yfchlm>
message at it and play with decoding the message.  But it was more of
a "Hello, world" encoded in WAP <http://tinyurl.com/4lgjx>.  I know
that at least one of the subscribers to chicago-lisp has used
Araneida because he (Brian Mastenbrook) has made an entry about
Araneida on cliki but he hasn't been active in this thread.  Araneida
doesn't seem to have any documentation at the common-lisp.net site.
AllegroServe does at least have some documentation.  Araneida kicks
AllegroServe's butt in a GoogleFight, for perhaps the lamest possible
metric of which gets used more.