[chicago-lisp] (no subject)

John Quigley jquigley at jquigley.com
Fri Dec 8 18:29:26 UTC 2006

Corey Sweeney wrote:
> I avoid using set commands whenever I can, but I probably have differnt
> goals then you when programming.

One reason why I tend to think of Lisp as a functional language (even
though it is technically multi-paradigm) has to do with the fact that I
almost always program in a functional manner.

Lisp for me has two primary advantages: a) supports the functional
paradigm, and b) homoiconic.  I tend to exploit both of those features
to their fullest when I program in the language, as these have proven to
produce remarkably powerful and bug-free code for me.

That some Common Lisp implementations have poor support for optimized
functional usage is an unfortunate, but rather irrelevant, point for me.
  When I need highly optimized code, I develop in C.  I use Lisp for its
elegance, and because it promotes the creation of rapid, bug-free programs.

- John Quigley