[chicago-lisp] Vote: Our group's name

John Quigley jquigley at jquigley.com
Fri Dec 8 06:35:38 UTC 2006

Things have become a bit chaotic, but I've done my best to tally the
results so far.  We have seven voters, and this is the break-down:

------SNIP-------

3 Chicago Lisp and Programming Language Group
   [QUIGLEY SWEENEY BOBAK]

2 Chicago LISPers and Friends
   [DOUTHITT DOMA]

1 Chicago Lisp Users and Enthusiasts
   [FOREMAN]

1 Chicago Lisp Users Group
   [KICK]

------SNIP-------

I sense a certain degree of concern over the "Lisp and Programming
Languages" name, and these are my thoughts.  First, regardless of which
of these names wins, the sole focus of our group should be Lisp.  I
think our projects, talks and presentations should be Lisp-specific. I
think we should remain here on the common-lisp.net mailing list.

In my eyes, ChiLPL has the following benefits:

  - more generic so that:
    * we can branch out if we get bored
    * we'll attract a broader range of people
  - readily identifiable/searchable by people trying to find us

You'll have to excuse me, I'm moderately obsessed with branding,
marketing and memes.  I come by it naturally: my father is a big
magazine advertiser in NYC, and I'm friends with several MIT Media Lab
crazies.

Of course, we can reset this vote if people want (though I tried to take
into account changed votes in the tally), and we may consider a
watershed vote on the top two candidates.  I leave it up to you folks.

Let's get this name thing resolved soon so that we can do what we do
best - program.

- John Quigley