[chicago-lisp] Join Calculus, Polyphonic C and Lisp

Matthew D Swank akopa at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 22:23:41 UTC 2005

Not that this is Lisp, but at our recent gathering I was babbling
ineffectually about using the Join Calculus in Lisp.  Join Calculus uses
concurrency abstractions that can be (easily) embedded in a functional
programming language.  This is why I thought it would make a good fit
for Lisp.

There are a number of papers; most centered around an ML-like
implementation language, but the most accessible (to me at least) is
"Modern Concurrency Abstractions for C". This paper describes a subset
of the Join Calculus that extends C#, and includes many standard
examples of synchronization and communication.

http://research.microsoft.com/~nick/polyphony/PolyphonyECOOP.A4.pdf