[chicago-lisp] Ping

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Tue Aug 23 03:39:02 UTC 2005

Jason Foreman wrote:
> Recently I picked up Practical Common Lisp, and so far it is about  the
> best programming book I have ever read.

I don't know if I'd go THAT far.... but it's close.  To me, Starting
FORTH and Thinking FORTH are pretty close :-)

> This is my first real  exposure
> to Lisp; by day I am stuck working in Java and loathing  every minute of
> it.

Funny - Java is one I've been trying recently to pick up :-)

However, I've been struggling to gain full-fledged expertise in LISP
since 1981 or so.... The idea of lower-case LISP, and the use of FIRST
SECOND THIRD et al took some time to get used to :-)

I find that LISP and FORTH have a LOT in common - LISP has macros, FORTH
has CREATE ... DOES> ...; LISP and FORTH both operate with bottom-up
design and what I call "micro-procedures" (FORTH has words, LISP has
functions).  Both are beautiful to the artist.

The one drawback I find is that a lot of LISP is centered on AI; a
recent LISP project was to interface with a PostgreSQL database
containing a list of RPMs on systems and report differences and
similarities in different ways - not at all related to AI in the least.

Paul Graham, likewise, reports a significant use for him was the
creation of a electronic storefront - also not related to AI in the least.

I've also played with myLisp on the Palm; anyone have anything to relate
about their use of this tool?