CFFI govels size_t into :sizet [Was: cffi 0.17.0 breaks some stuff]

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:21:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>  - for me it seems pretty ad-hoc why this one definition is included
>    and the other C stdlib definitions are not.
>
>  - if we want to include and support size_t in the CFFI contract, then
>    why in cffi-libffi? keep in mind that it requires groveling, which
>    is quite a heavy dependency that CFFI proper doesn't require at
>    this point.

I suppose it was convenient for Liam. I agree it doesn't belong there.
Liam, is it too much of a hassle to move the size_t grovelling to
gsll? (If it is, maybe we can figure out something else.)

>  - why in the keyword package? (and it's another discussion why :int
>    and other standard C definitions (not to be confused with stdlib.h)
>    are in the keyword package, but i won't pursuit that argument at
>    this point in time)

Re the standard CFFI types: convenience.

> maybe we want to open a new ASDF system for the C stdlib that would
> depend on the groveler and accommodate for C stdlib definitions like
> errno, size_t, etc?

Maybe. Osicat sort of plays that role right now. It has size_t, and it
has a bunch of errno functionality. (I don't remember if those are
exported or anything.)

Should I make a bugfix release for Zach to test?

--
Luís Oliveira
http://kerno.org/~luis/