release policy and quicklisp

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:03:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
> my goals:
>
> have a shorter "release" cycle when it comes to ql snapshots.

Agreed. The current master had an important regression in cffi-grovel
that was only recently fixed and that had been holding back the
release for a while.

> my proposal:
>
> set up a branch called 'quicklisp' in the CFFI repo and change ql to
> capture that instead of the release tgz. this is what VCS'es are
> designed for after all.

I kind of like the current process. I run script/release.lisp which
does the following:

1. Creates a version tag a pushes it. (shows up in
<https://github.com/cffi/cffi/releases>)
2. Creates a gpg signed tarball wherein the cffi.asd contains the
correct version without cluttering the git history with version bump
commits.
3. Uploads the tarball, an updated copy of the manual, and some magic
version info to common-lisp.net.

What would be the benefits of using a branch or moveable tag instead
of a tarball? (Can we gpg-sign a tag?)

Cheers,

--
Luís Oliveira