Allowing GC in Allegro CL SMP during foreign function calls

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 17:03:58 UTC 2013

Felix Filozov <ffilozov at gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mean an Allegro CL test? I don't think that's necessary since
> the manual is clear on the behavior, and I've witnessed GC block in my
> own code.

Well, manuals lie and bugs exist. :-) The CFFI test suite has found
quite a few implementation bugs.

On the other hand, we want to ensure that all supported implementations
have the same brehaviour. It'd be nice to have.

> From reading other posts in the thread, it does seem that Allegro CL
> is the outlier.

Yep.

> I could add a note in the manual that mentions that whether GC blocks
> during a foreign function call is implementation dependent.

If we can ensure that the GC does /not/ block it'd be nicer.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://kerno.org/~luis