Problems with nested structs and the newer cffi

Willem Rein Oudshoorn woudshoo at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 24 08:35:27 UTC 2013

Thank you for all your work and the time to answer my questions.

Liam Healy <lnp at healy.washington.dc.us> writes:

> Willem,
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> My thinking is that with-foreign-slots is intended to expose the value (and
> not the pointer), and therefore, expands to foreign-slot-value, so the
> behavior you're seeing is correct. Your fix to your code is the correct way
> to access the pointer. I think with-foreign-slots is provided as a
> convenient shortcut to get all the values; since it doesn't do what you
> need, you need to use the actual access form (foreign-slot-pointer in your
> case).

Ah, ok, I am a bit struggling to convert the old way to the new way.  It
probably has nothing to do with (with-foreign-slots ...), but just my
mis understanding and trying to quickly convert old code to new.

> For your second question: if the argument is actually a pointer to the
> structure, :pointer is the right thing to use. Are you sure it is a pointer
> argument? Check the .h file where it is defined.
>
> Liam

Ah, I do not have an issue with passing it to the c library.
What I meant was that in my mind the following confused me:

     (let ((c-oid (foreing-alloc '(:struct git-oid))))
        ;;; I think of c-oid, conceptually as type
        ;;;  (:pointer (:struct git-oid))
        ;;;; later:

           (foreign-slot-pointer c-oid '(:struct git-oid) 'id)
           ;;; I thought that because c-oid is of type
           ;;; (:pointer (:struct git-oid))
           ;;; I thought I needed to put here
           ;;;   '(:pointer (:struct git-oid)) instead of
           ;;;   '(:struct git-oid)

Does this make sense?

Now I have a small additional question.

I have a struct like:

(defcstruct (git-index-time :class index-time-struct)
            ....)

Now the (translate-from-foreign value (type index-time-struct))
works if I use as type:

  (:struct git-index-time)

So everyting works.   However, if I do:

(defctype struct-index-time (:struct git-index-time))

And use as type:

  struct-index-time

The `translate-from-foreign` is not called and I end up
with untranslated values.

I thought that (defctype ...) worked as a typedef and
naively expected the type translation to still work.

Is this as expected?

I probably should use (define-parse-method ...) to get the behaviour
as I expect.  Hm, some more digging to do.

Kind regards,
Wim Oudshoorn.