Groveler and HUGE_VAL

Zach zach.smith at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 26 02:55:38 UTC 2013

> (constant (+huge-val+ "HUGE_VAL") :type integer)
>
> then
>
> (with-foreign-object (huge-ptr :uint64)
>    (setf (mem-ref huge-ptr :uint64) +huge-val+)
>   (nlopt-set-lower-bound opts huge-ptr))

I have also been thinking along these lines.  The only thing I worry about
is whether this is strictly correct or just correct in practice.  Is there
a guarantee that a double float is always the same size as a uint64.  It's
true on every platform I have ever programmed for (I think), but will it
always be true?  Back when I programmed in C more often, hard coding data
type sizes into a program just seemed wrong so I didn't do it, so I guess I
wouldn't know.  Perhaps I am sweating a non-issue...

Thanks for the advice.