[cffi-devel] Re: Use of Babel and Alexandria in CFFI

JTK jetmonk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:20:54 UTC 2008

> >On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Roland Averkamp <roland.averkamp at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Is it really necesary to use the Babel and Alexandria libraries in CFFI?
> > Now CFFI depends on two libraries and every other system which uses
> > CFFI needs these two libraries too.
>
> That's an issue that was taken into consideration.

As a mere user, I was also a bit frustrated trying to compile the newest
CFFI with all
its dependencies, especially because these extra packages had RCS's that
were not on my machine.  The new CFFI was a long chain of upgrades and
installs.
For a newbie, this could be a real roadblock, and each additional step will
cause
attrition of the userbase.

Might it be a good idea to repackage these libraries as
TRIVIAL-FEATURES-CFFI, BABEL-CFFI, etc,
and distribute these along with cffi?   They would still be there, would be
easy to upgrade, but
would be invisible to the casual cffi user.

Jan