[cffi-devel] defenum proposal

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Jan 25 17:50:29 UTC 2006

Justin Heyes-Jones writes:

>The problem I am looking at is that SDL uses un-named enums quite a lot.
>In addition it does arithmetic on them to create other enums...
>#define MAKE_MASK (n) (1<<n)

I can't find this.

I grep'ed for "enum", "MAKE_MASK" (0 hits) and "<<" (5 hits) in /usr/include/SDL/*.h and found:

o plenty of typedef enum { ... } SDL_audiostatus;
which does not sound anonymous at all, even though its not
enum <name> { ... };

o a single #define SDL_EVENTMASK(X) (1<<(X))
used by enum SDL_EventMasks, referring to enum SDL_Events

o and a single really anonymous one:
enum { SDL_PRESSED = 0x01, SDL_RELEASED = 0x00 };
where SDL_PRESSED is reused via
#define SDL_BUTTON(X) (SDL_PRESSED<<(X-1))

I'd say SDL_PRESSED is worth a defconstant.

Did I look at the wrong place or not understand anything at all?

[on a Ubuntu Breezy Debian i686 machine, with libsdl-1.2]
BTW, does anybody know which package holds the gl* Manpages?
I have the SDL_*.3.gz ones now, from package libsdl1.2-dev.
Sadly, packages.debian.org (really valuable site) is down.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.