[cffi-devel] Patch: FOREIGN-FUNCALL for LispWorks

Stephen Compall s11 at member.fsf.org
Sat Jan 14 23:44:41 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 00:18 +0100, Edi Weitz wrote:
> 1. The documentation says it is only about the cffi-luis branch but it
>    seems to me that the main branch and cffi-luis are almost identical
>    - or did I miss something?

It's defunct, and removed in a doc patch coming soon.

> 2. This form
>
>     (define-foreign-library libcurl
>       (:unix (:or "libcurl.so.3" "libcurl.so"))
>       (t (:default "libcurl")))
>
>    in the (very nice, BTW) tutorial didn't work for me on Linux,
>    neither with LispWorks nor with CMUCL.  I had to remove the second
>    (:UNIX) line to make it work.

The problem is that try-foreign-library-alternatives depends on the
return value of load-foreign-library, which is unspecified.  I believe
luis said on IRC that it was supposed to return non-nil on success,
which I implemented in unified diff
http://csserver.evansville.edu/~sc87/cffi/load-foreign-library-answers-nil.patch

The other possibility, changing t-f-l-a to ignore l-f-l's return value,
is implemented in darcs patch tfla-success.patch in the same directory.

Thanks also for the kind word on the tutorial.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog