[cffi-devel] New foreign library interface

James Bielman jamesjb at jamesjb.com
Tue Jan 10 12:18:53 UTC 2006

"Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril" <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> writes:

> My experience is different, perhaps because I've seen mostly
> bindings, not applications.  Bindings may have the property that
> they want to be as little restrictive as possible.  E.g. Bindings
> for postgres 7 may still work with postgresql8, and vice-versa.

Yeah, this is a good point.  It's tough though, because in some Linux
distributions, the user may not have a plain ".so" without a version
unless he installs the *-dev package.  Coming from the viewpoint of
someone who might want to ship applications that used such a binding,
and doesn't want his users to need development packages installed, I'm
not sure what the best way to do this would be, other than list all
the versions the library has been tested with.

James