[cffi-devel] a new tutorial (was Re: bits from a new tutorial)

Stephen Compall s11 at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 10 03:14:25 UTC 2006

The first draft is now available.  See inline comments below about
obtaining, and notes about changes since the previous announcement.

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 01:12 -0600, Stephen Compall wrote:
> I am writing a CFFI tutorial, to be integrated into the manual when it
> is done if the maintainers will have it.  You can get the first half or
> so in Texinfo format if you so desire at
> http://csserver.evansville.edu/~sc87/cffi/tutorial.texi .  You can
> integrate it into cffi-manual.texi for building (if you want to see TeX,
> HTML, etc output) with a
>
> @include tutorial.texi
>
> For best results, put it where that comment about the manual needing a
> tutorial is.  If you want curl.h and easy.h to follow along, they are in
> the same directory.

Available at the same address.  Differences in tutorial-r1-r2.diff;
current (hopefully loadable) final source at tutorial-source.lisp.

Stuff left out:

> * define-foreign-type for bits to be LOGIORed, then using that to type
> the input to curl_global_init.
>
> * Callbacks.  This of course will be a :writefunction.
>
> * Some other stuff I can't remember right now.  It depends on what I can
> reasonably introduce in the context of the example I've chosen.
>
> I may also consider disjoining the TYPEs in the :curl-option definition.
> After all, I'm breaking the abstraction, so I might as well make a
> better one.

Didn't do this.

> There is a stray TODO, and I don't yet know how I'm going to type
> curl_off_t portably.  I will probably just remove :off-t for this
> tutorial.

Left off-t in there, but didn't use it.  It's not very useful anyway, so
hardly anyone would miss it.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog