[cffi-devel] New foreign library interface

Frank Goenninger - PRION Consulting fgoenninger at prion.de
Sat Jan 7 20:56:44 UTC 2006

Am 07.01.2006 um 20:25 schrieb Luís Oliveira:

> On 2006-jan-07, at 16:52, Frank Goenninger - PRION Consulting wrote:
>>> We don't really search for the library ourselves. dlopen() takes
>>> care of that for us. It was just an example.
>>
>> Ah. So, if you want to make dlopen() handle all searching, then
>> you'd have to extend the respective environment variable with user-
>> supplied search paths. Which brings us to ? Yes, platform-
>> dependent putenv() calls or whatever the Lisp implementation's way
>> is to set an env var. Or do I misunderstand still somethimng here?
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. What happens is that, if dlopen()
> can't find the library, we try finding it in one of the directories
> in the cffi:*foreign-library-directories* list.

I assumed you would do that. Now you've confirmed that. Thanks.

dlopen() of course does not always return a real error if it couldn't
find the lib (in some cases I had a return value of NULL which in
some cases meant that there was an error and in some cases not) . I
had cases (on HP-UX, where you use shl_load() because there's no
dlopen() in this OS) where I had to examine errno (and on other OSes,
where available, with dlerror() ...) to find out what really happened.

Thanks again - having talked/written that much now I figure I should
start supporting you and begin coding that stuff... Will look for the
source code.

Frank

--
     PRION Group - PLM and IT Solutions

     Frank Goenninger
     CEO & Managing Partner Consulting

     Fon:      +49 711 797353-30
     Fax:      +49 711 797353-50
     E-Mail:  fgoenninger at prion.de

     PRION Consulting Services AG
     Nikolaus-Otto-Straße 25
     D-70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany

     Geschäftsführung:
     Vorsitzender der Vorstands: Frank Gönninger
     Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Christopher Frim
     Sitz der Gesellschaft: 70771 Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Deutschland
     Registergericht Nürtingen HRB 5892