[cffi-devel] a thought on string encodings

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon Jan 2 15:03:11 UTC 2006

James Bielman wrote:
>Now that this is working, I will start pulling the
>implementation-specific code into an encoding-aware
>%FOREIGN-STRING-TO-LISP function in CFFI-SYS.

How are you going to represent the encodings?
- use the implementation's objects?
- introduce your own names?
- restrict yourself to known encodings, e.g. UTF-8 (users on MS-Windows would appreciate UTF-16)?

>#+clisp
>(defcfun "strlen" :unsigned-int
>  (s :pointer))
Hmm, I lost track of whether that works on MS-Windows in a MS-VC build (as opposed to mingw/cygwin/unix-like).

Yeah, I should really add this string stuff to clisp instead.

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle.