[cffi-devel] Calling function expecting char**

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon Jan 2 10:26:11 UTC 2006

James Bielman wrote:
>I wonder if MEM-AREF might be
>better given a more generic name and documented as the default accessor
>for foreign pointers.
I think mem-AREF is fine, since (apropos "AREF") will find it, and it nicely fits array access.
Yet I also thought MEM-REF's offset-as-bytes needs better visibility (presence in the user's mind & documentation). That's precisely why I submitted one patch to the documentation on 2005-12-23. Let's hope it will be enough and this issue will not become a FAQ or a FMB (frequently made bug).

I think it's perfectly fine for MEM-REF to count in bytes. Such a low-level operator is needed.

>  I don't think user code will need to use the more
>primitive features of MEM-REF directly very often...
What about dereferencing a pointer (not as a slot in a struct)? mem-ref is the only candidate for that.

BTW, thanks to Yaroslav for checking whether the documentation works. Every project needs such contributions.

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle.