[cffi-devel] CFFI and SBCL

Immanuel Litzroth immanuell at enfocus.be
Tue Sep 27 11:21:33 UTC 2005

Dear List,

I tried out CFFI on SBCL linux yesterday and would like to give some feedback.
1) On SBCL the rt package is named sb-rt.
2) The string callback test does not compile nor does the qsort callback test.
3) All the other tests run.

I also have the following observations.
* SBCL and CMUCL have alien integer types that can specify a number of bits.
I have had success in optimizing lisp ffi by restricting values to xx bits
so they can be immediately translated to fixnums. It seems a shame to lose this
possiblity in a cffi.

* I often need to allocate foreign objects and put them in a lisp struct. I would
then want to run a finalizer if the struct gets garbage collected, to free the allocated
memory. A nice interface to the finalizer functionality on different systems would
be a great feature for cffi.

Greetz
Immanuel

I can, I can't.