[cffi-devel] Changes to the type system, among others.

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:06:05 UTC 2005

What are the ramifications of the anonymous type stuff? In particular, does
this mean that defctype behaves more like C's "typedef" (in that the source
type doesn't yet need to be defined)? Could any of the new type system
changes achieve that result? The dependence of defctype on having its source
type already defined makes handling automatic declaration generation quite
complicated in a lot of idiomatic C code. Since the dependence graph of C
type definitions might have cycles, it becomes impossible to impose a total
ordering on definitions. This isn't a problem when typedefs are fully
resolved to their target types (as Verrazano does currently), but is a
problem if you want the C-FFI binding to more closely resemble the C header
file with regards to type naming.