[cells-gtk-devel] Documentation help

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:18:44 UTC 2008

Hey Chris,

great to hear you chose to work with us cells-gtk guys.  Welcome aboard!

As to your questions:

> So firstly I'd like to know a few things. Do you have anybody currently
> writing documentation?

I don't think so -- except for me writing an installation guide:

http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/cgtk3-start.html

As far as existing docs are concerned, there is the Primer and the
FAQ, both linked from the project page.  I dare say both of them are
not quite up to date.

There is some stuff on my blog documenting recent additions to cells-gtk:

http://www.washbear-network.de/peterblog/

> What sort of format would be best for you?

Whatever you prefer to write ;-)  Come to think of it, a wiki would
have the advantage that other users will be able to update/extend your
work quickly.  Given that cells-gtk is still under development (I
think people add widgets and functionality as they need it), that
might be a good idea.

I'd volunteer to host a mediawiki at a friend's server.  Of course, if
someone had a cl-wiki, that'd be great.

> Do you
> actually want me to do this?

Is that a question?  I believe every open source project would be very
happy to have people come into the door and volunteer to document.
So, AFA I am concerned, yes!

Now I have a few questions:
. What platform are you on?
. Which lisp do you use?
. Which development environment?
. Do you have cells-gtk3 up and running?

Then of course, where do you want to start?  Some suggestions are
. Installation (i.e. we could work through the getting started together)
. Various kinds "Hello World" apps
. The elements of the sample app (test-gtk)

Again, great to have you with us, and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Peter