[cells-gtk-devel] SBCL patches

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Tue Jun 6 15:07:22 UTC 2006

On Saturday 03 June 2006 08:21, Marco Gidde wrote:

Hi Marco,

> What I miss most are much better drawing capabilities. Though I
> managed to draw a few lines on a widget using the mentioned functions
> I really did not get the ideas behind the API and switched to clg
> which already has cairo bindings. Of course clg has some other
> problems, e.g. no cells inside :-) and it is not using cffi.

Do you mean you "did not get the ideas behind the API" of the drawing
functions, or cells-gtk in general?

I think the biggest problem with cell-gtk is the lack of documentation of
Cells. And for me, some of the design choices of Cells are not intuitive,
making documenting it difficult.

The drawing functions are a rough work-in-progress. The idea behind them
hasn't really been expressed yet (I had in mind something with closures, but
it needs lots of work).

> I think joining together clg and cells-gtk would create a killer GUI
> library for common lisp! Just my 0.02€

I took a quick look at clg and Cairo. Is what you like most about clg the
Cairo port? clg looks ok. Cairo looks like the interesting part of it. I am
not a "graphics person" but just someone who needed a GUI for lisp and
stumbled into cells-gtk. It is good that I saw Cairo now, before I got too
deep into drawing. I'll play around with it next time I get a chance to work
on Cells-gtk.

Thanks!

--
- Best regards,