[cells-devel] make-instance, initarg, c-in

Bastian Müller turbo24prg at web.de
Sat Jul 4 23:06:19 UTC 2009

Ramarren schrieb:
Hi,

> It doesn't work because it was a bad idea anyway... I didn't pay
> attention to the fact, that by the time an after method on
> shared-initialize fires the model is already initiated into the cells
> framework, so any changes at that point are too late. Fortunately it
> is easy enough to get around with the power of CLOS:
>
> Again, I did not test this much, but it seems to work, especially
> since it doesn't really touch anything inside Cells. I still think it
> is not a very good idea, for reasons Kenny specified earlier.

I tried it and after adding cells::model-object to the superclasses
of the class that is using auto-cin-model everything worked very well.
Thanks! I still don't get why it's a bad idea - it seems pretty handy.
The user of the library won't have to care to provide c-in wrapped
values as initargs, he doesn't need to care for the internals.

I put the test in a gist on github: http://gist.github.com/140709

> As an aside, if it is not just amazing username coincidence, judging
> by this paste http://paste.lisp.org/display/59172/ You tried to create
> bindings for Clutter. If so, You might be interested in my attempt at
> http://github.com/Ramarren/cffi-clutter/tree/master , which more or
> less works, for some very low values of "works". Shows a moving
> rectangle, anyway. Unfortunately, faced with the facts that moving
> forward would require understanding enough of GObject to subclass its
> objects and that I don't really need it that much, it is unlikely to
> progress much further.

Yeah, I tried to get a clutter binding, but unfortunately hadn't very
much luck with it. I looked around and found your bindings on github
and follow it, but didn't try it yet, because of lack of time and I'm
not as far with my stuff to use it yet, but I'll sure do so. Thanks for
the hint.

kind regards,
  Bastian