[PyCells] [cells-devel] Call for comment on Prospect of Lazy Cells Not Propagating Either

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 19:33:40 UTC 2006

kt wrote:

 If A is eager and depends on B and A has an observer that really really
> wants to stay on top of reality....

I just had Cells4 kinda thought: what if all Cells are (in some new respect)
lazy unless observed (directly or indirectly thru someone that is observed)?

btw, as radical as that change sounds, I am not sure it really rises to the
level of "Cells4" -- I am suggesting this only because I think it is
equivalent to Cells3 (assuming one is sane enough not to have side-effects
inside rules) and merely automates the identification of which cells can be
lazy (or looked at another way, automates the detection of the need for
eagerness.

Then the explicit thing becomes supporting a new class of much rarer
(methinks) "lazy" observer whose existence would not trigger eagerness.

It would be interesting to see how much laziness ends up being deduced by
this approach. The indirect eagerness (I am not observed, but I am
called/used by someone who is) could get interesting.

Jes thinkin out loud.

kt