[cells-devel] Call for comment on Prospect of Lazy Cells Not Propagating Either

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:12:13 UTC 2006

OK, two prospects: first, move the lazy attribute to the root Cell class so
input Cells can be lazy. Hmmm, does this mean we should make it a slot
attribute? Anyway, now here is the real interesting change I am looking at:

The domain is Cells with lazy attributes of t, :always, or :once-asked.

Currently, such lazy Cells, once they do get recalculated on being queried,
propagate immediately to callers aka dependents. And have their observers
invoked.

The proposed change is not to propagate to callers, but to still invoke
observers. I think observers cannot be very observant if they are not
notified of changes as they happen.*

Comments? Question?

kt

* I was amused to see a long comment explaining why I was moving
caller/dependent notification in front of observer invocation, when in fact
the caller notification then was being placed on a queue and then the
observers were invoked immediately. Of course observers, where they perturb
the model, are supposed to enqueue themselves cooperatively, but still. :)

kt