[cells-devel] Celtk: Text widget API woes

Frank Goenninger fgoenninger at prion.de
Wed May 31 13:09:28 UTC 2006

Am 31.05.2006 um 07:44 schrieb Ken Tilton:

> On 5/31/06, Frank Goenninger <fgoenninger at prion.de> wrote: Hi all:

[snipped my earlier message]

> In case you want to dig in deeper on that subject, well, we're here...
>
> Are you ready to solo?

??? What do you mean by that ?

> I do not think there is an off-the-shelf answer for anything more
> sophisticated than what you see now in text-widget.

Yes, of course there is no better way to do this. I did not say
otherwise. I just documented what is in there right now. I'll not do
that again  - I seem to understand you want me to stop contributing.
I just do not get why right now.

> (1) subclass text-widget
> (2) define for that subclass an :around observer of .md-value that
> does nothing or "what you want"
> (3) add slots to your text-wdget subclass as needed and knock
> yourself out.

That's obviously the way to go. I also never said otherwise.

> What you can consider is an ephemeral "append-data" slot you will
> setf with each line of input. The observer on that line does the
> insert-at-end thing. md-value can have a rule that appends "append-
> data" to .cache. the md-value is just there should other code want
> to get to it, though there is always the text widget dump and cget
> (?) stuff.

Sure. I know. I assumed you know that I know.

> I'd hang out my shingle and suggest a contract, but this seems like
> a reasonable next step for you in re Cells fluency.

Sorry, You lost me here completely. What does that mean? Text widget
and Tk is not about Cells. I do know perfectly well that I am a
bloody beginner in re Cells. As for the text widget I'd say I did
gain some experience (that I am ready to share).

Please enlighten me on how I did something I shouldn't have done. The
only intention was to say "well, there is something you can use and
if you do, don't be surprised it behaves like this." Because that's
the thing I was trapped by. Assuming others might experience this
also I "bursted out" into a few lines of a short notice - speaking
from beginner to beginner.

Well, I may be wrong here as I might well misunderstand all of the
underlying message of this reply, or, even, there is none - if so, I
beg pardon for implying something which isn't there.

> ken

Frank - having a big question mark in my mind