[cells-devel] Cello fixes for FTGL <whew!>

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Sep 29 05:58:45 UTC 2004

CVS willing (I have my doubts), Cells and Cello have now been updated
with changes to resolve some deadly problems with FTGL when combined
with display lists.

The Cells change had to do with enhancing the "lazy" option to be more
of a code than a flag: one now has options :once-asked, :until-asked,
and :always (alias t). Aside: I was surprised to see I had done this
originally as an option on a formula for a slot. Seems to me it should
be a slot option. ie, that when one needs lazy it will because the slot
itself needs that behavior, no matter what the formula. So we'll put a
"watch" on this design decision,which I left as is for now.

making display list calculation lazy (until asked) solved the problem
with extruded fonts. Texture fonts were fixed by hacking FTGL in ways
which turned out to be in testing already for FTGL v2.1 -- ie, I ran
into this at the same time as others and happened to come up with the
same fix. The problem was pretty subtle, so I will spare you all unless
someone asks for the deets. Pretty much just a deep issue with display
list generation.

Anyway, it now seems as if FTGL is back under control. Note that all
this started when I went for the big performance enhancement of using
nested display lists for all imaging. That interacted badly with some
FTGL design decisions which have now been fixed or worked around.

kenny