[cells-devel] What should I do with JPGs and GIFs?

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Thu Oct 21 18:50:13 UTC 2004

We put binaries into CVS all the time. Don't really have much of a
choice. There are some catches:

1) you have to use the -kb flag or set up CVS to automatically treat
some files as binary. This is done in the cvswrappers file in CVSROOT
(check it out and use CVS to manage it).  Part of the 'generic' bits of
our cvswrappers file looks like:

*.jar -k 'b'
*.gif -k 'b'
*.jpg -k 'b'
*.png -k 'b'
*.zip -k 'b'
*.gz -k 'b'
*.tar -k 'b'
*.tgz -k 'b'
*.pdf -k 'b'
*.bz2 -k 'b'
*.bz -k 'b'
*.z -k 'b'
*.doc -k 'b'
*.ser -k 'b'

2) CVS won't store differences between versions, it stores the whole
thing. This can chew up disk space.

3) A consequence of 2) is that you can get nasty behaviour going on
with multiple people checking in changes (net effect is that you don't
get very good control over these binary files with CVS). You have to
manually (as far as I know) lock and unlock the file to prevent the
problems.

Cheers,
Bob