[cells-devel] Re: [cello-devel] Unbound cells

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 15:18:46 UTC 2004

On the other hand, Cells should not change Lisp unnecessarily.

It would be easy enough to do something such as (cv +unbound+) or just
(cv) and then have the internal sm-install function invoke
slot-makunbound instead of forcing the slot to be bound. Then one does
not need a special test for cell-boundp (which sounds wrong anyway in re
transparency).

But what about a rule that runs across an unbound cell/slot? I should
think that does not generate an unbound error, rather the slot mediated
by the rule should in turn be made unbound.

I guess echoing works OK, tho anyway doing this on the GUI slots will
not get far since existing echos are not testing for unbounditude.

The big hole is that slot-makunbound does not go through (setf
/accessor/), and slot-makunbound-using-class is not portable, so we
would need to lose some transparency and have an exported
c-slot-makunbound function to make the slot unbound and kick off
propagation (and confirm that the slot is c-variable mediated).

thoughts?

kt

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com