[cells-announce] Cells II, Celtic, and "Cello now under Cells"

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 02:41:55 UTC 2004

text below was copied from the notes at the top of the cell-cultures CVS
project:

  http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cell-cultures/?cvsroot=cells

Other cvs projects alongside cell-cultures have short life-expectancies.
Likewise,  as soon as I figure out how to shut down the common-lisp
Cello mailing lists, I will do so, so anyone wanting to track Cello
should slide over to the Cells list.

"Kenny Tilton
July 6, 20004

This CVS release inaugurates the collection of all my Cells-related code
under one CVS project (./cells/cell-cultures), in turn under one
common-lisp.net project, Cells. From now on the Cello project under
common-lisp.net is quiesced, tho the web page is still informative and
fun screen shots can be found in the FTP area.

This release also introduces two significant new code releases. First, a
substantial reworking of Cell internals known informally as Cells II.
Second, Celtic, a derived work of Peter Herth's LTk project marrying
Common Lisp and TCl/Tk. Celtic adds Cells to the mix (and deviates
wildly from LTk so cannot be combined with that.

A third subproject (a directory, in fact), Clyde (derived from "CL IDE")
currently just contains a GUI wrapper for the CL apropos-list function,
but could soon see a port of ClouCell, currently a Cello-based graphical
object inspector.

Several other subprojects offer utilities required by most Cell
projects. ASDF-ACLPROJ is Thomas Burdick's creation, which teaches ASDF
about AllegroCL project files (their home-brewed defsystem). I use
AllegroCL and cannot be trusted to keep parallel ASDF definition files
current with the ACL project files. UTILS-KT is just what it looks like,
very low-level stuff I use everywhere. FFI-EXTENDER makes it easier for
me to whip up FFI bindings using UFFI (which, btw, you will also need).

Pure binding subprojects are functional as far as they go, but are
usually incomplete because I punt when they get hard, until I need the
challenging bindings. These include:

cl-opengl -- OpenGL.
cl-openal -- bindings to OpenAL. Think "OpenGL for audio".
cl-ftgl -- FTGL, FreeType for OpenGL
cl-magick -- ImageMagick, for image files such as JPG, and vector or
bitmapped graphics.

That just leaves Cello, the OpenGL/Freeglut-based CL GUI. Where LTk and
Celtic offer simpler, higher-level (but still powerful), and native
GUIs, Cello is Lisp all the way down and offers terrific graphical power
thx to direct OpenGL capabilities accelerated by hardware GPUs."

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? Cello? Celtic? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/