[cells-devel] Re: [cello-devel] Constructor syntax

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Wed May 12 06:05:04 UTC 2004

Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>Kenny Tilton writes:
> >  if you want to send me something with these two amendments I will
> > manually merge with the Cells I have here, currently a subdirectory of
> > Cello, and then future Cello/Cells releases will have that. I guess I am
> > still leaning towards that structure, in which Cells can be accessed
> > indepenendently but from within the larger Cello context.
>
>Coolio, let's get it in CVS, over in Cello-land, then.

ah, yes, cvs. i was functional in that for a day a few months ago. not
sure when that comet comes around again. i would invite you to put up
PC4, but I did something I regret to defmodel, so that has to come out.
the prior version would suffice. if you feel brave, go for it, or I will
do so on the next orbit.

>I tried to add unbound-cells support to Cells itself, and I think it
>works, but I wasn't expecting it to.  In short:
>
>  (defmodel adder ()
>    ((x :accessor adder-x :initform (cv))
>     (y :accessor adder-y :initform (cv))
>     (sum :accessor adder-sum :initform (c? (+ (^adder-x) (^adder-y))))))
>
>  (defparameter >>adder (to-be (make-instance 'adder)))
>
>  (setf (adder-x >>adder) 0)
>
>The above happily works.  It doesn't trigger the rule until I do:
>
>  (adder-sum >>adder)
>    => <unbound-cell error>
>
>Am I crazy, or shouldn't it have given me that when I set adder-x to
>0?

No, you are not crazy, it is just a subtlety even I can forget after all
these years of celling:

1) The dependency of sum on adder which would cause sum to be
reevaluated does not exist until sum gets evaluated.
2) ruled cells get artificially evaluated into existence at
make-instance time if and only if they have echo functions defined on
them. why? the echos are the only reason for the jump-start evaluation,
and I once was able to benefit massively from this reticence, and it
offers an opportunity for efficiency--ie, it's a little weird, but I
like it.

ergo) if you inspected >>adder's .cells you would discover sum's cell is
in a nascent state and has no dependencies. come to think of it, you
/know/ it has no dependency on adder-x because that could only arise
from the rule running, which would have yielded an unbound error.

> Even if I am crazy, and that should work fine, one change does
>need to be made: cells doesn't currently catch the unbound-cell
>errors, because I wasn't sure where in the propagation code to put it.

I do not think it is a propagation issue. The error should arise iff an
unbound cell/slot gets read. So in md-slot-value:

    ; also work, but we need to document this very specific order of
operations
    ; anyway, can't just leave that to the left-right thing.
    ;
    (let ((slot-value (etypecase slot-c
                        (null (bd-slot-value self slot-spec))
                        (c-variable (c-value slot-c)) <================
test here for unbounditude
                        (c-ruled (c-ruled-slot-value slot-c)))))

Mind you, this is off the top of my head and I have just returned from
another successful (hic!) lisp-nyk meeting, but I think this is right.

It /would/ be possible for a propagation to a ruled cell to cause
evaluation to branch in a new direction such that it then read an
unbound cell, but that is still a failure at read-time, I think.

kt