[cello-devel] corman second thoughts

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 16:23:00 UTC 2004

It just occurred to me what the problem may have been that made me
abandon the Corman and CLisp ports. The key Cells mechanism called
"echoing" works via the generic function c-echo-slot-name. Two problems:
the method combination is progn, and the dispatch requires EQL
specialization.

The first question is whether those limitations still apply to either
implementation. Perhaps newer versions have fixed these. If not..

The method combo can be dispensed with. It did make a rare edge case
easier to manage and then struck me as more appropriate to the necessary
semantics, but normal method combo could have been made to work without
too much work. Indeed, you'll see the defgeneric for c-echo-slot-name is
featured-out for clisp and corman.

As for the eql dispatch, that would require modifying def-c-echo to
stash anonymous functions with gensym'ed names into a hash table...well,
it would be ugly, and I think this is where I ran out of patience with
corman and clisp.

hopefully they have mended their CLOS ways. if not, I think someone
really determined to make the port should not have that much trouble.
these are nicely localized little problems, and I would certainly help
and accept the changes into Cells/Cello.

kenneth

--
http://tilton-technology.com