[cdr-discuss] AEQUALIS and COMPARE

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Tue Feb 15 10:09:42 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just a few quick comments:

- The name AEQUALIS seems very weird to me. ;)

- The idea that COMPARE returns symbols also seems weird to me. Wouldn't it be better to return numbers (-1, 0, +1 or NIL)? Can't immediately tell why, though.

- Shouldn't there also be a hash-code generic function that can be specialized alongside AEQUALIS? This also exists in Java and C#, and could make this immediately more useful (and would be much harder to add later as an afterthought). Many CL implementation add an :sxhash option to make-hash-table, where such a hash-code function could be used.

Best,
Pascal