[cdr-discuss] Three RFCs

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Tue Mar 18 10:30:45 UTC 2008

"Leslie P. Polzer" <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> writes:

> Dear Christophe,
>
> you wrote:
>
>> (What is "the" backquote expansion object, anyway?)
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking here. The object is
> what ` expands into, which is undefined by the spec
> (as is the expansion of , and ,@).

But according to the current spec, ` need not expand into anything at
all.  What I am challenging is your assertion that there should be a
single ("the") backquote object that ` always expands to.

> Whereas SBCL seems to have some things going on under the hood:

Yes, it does: it performs read-time optimizations, as it is allowed
to.  If you want to disallow those read-time optimizations, that's
fine, but you then have to make a case for that (rather than simply
begging the question by assuming that they are never performed).

Cheers,

Christophe