[cdr-discuss] CDR-2 -- register-test-designator vs. keyword parameters

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Dec 6 10:02:55 UTC 2006

Chris Dean <ctdean at sokitomi.com> writes:

> One thing I like about the keyword design is that if a user prefers
> the registration design, then she can implement it herself on top of
> the keyword design.  The reverse (implementing the keyword design on
> top of the registration design) is more difficult or has some
> performance implications.

One of the downsides of the keyword design is that it doesn't express
users intention as clearly, and requires users to express the same
intention over and over again.

While this doesn't really belong with CDR 2, I'll use this space to note
that :KEY argument would be more usefull to me that a custom test and
hash function most of the time -- and that would actually make more sense
in the table itself.

 (make-hash-table :test 'eq :key 'car)

would be a hash-table whose keys are hashed and compared only based on
their cars.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."