[cdr-discuss] What about CDR 3, then?

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Tue Dec 5 22:26:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

OK, I have understood your response to my reply, and as far as I can
tell, your (Christophe's) reasoning is sound, both in your response
to my and to Gary's comments so far.

Still, I had the somewhat nagging feeling that there is some deeper
issue involved here, and I think I am getting closer (although I am
not 100% sure yet).

So here is my current take on this:

In CDR 3 you relax a restriction stated in ANSI CL. However, you may
have gone too far here, in the sense that after accepting CDR 3, it
may not be clear anymore what sequences actually are. To put it as a
question: Which subset of the functions defined in the Sequence
Dictionary must a subtype of sequence implement? Is it allowed to
signal errors for some functions? May these functions have undefined
consequences? Under what circumstances? For example, must LENGTH
always return a number?

Or take COPY-SEQ: The HyperSpec clearly specifies what happens for
lists and for vectors. What happens here for other sequences?

As long as the only kinds of sequences that can be created are lists
and vectors, there is no ambiguity here. Once this becomes explicitly
open for arbitrary extensions - then what? Don't you have to define a
number of constraints on the possible subtypes of sequence that are
not lists or vectors here?

Pascal

P.S.: Please don't understand this as an attack. I am just trying to
shake the tree to see what falls out. ;)

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab